mif2go
o***@comcast.net
2006-04-25 17:01:44 UTC
I am told that mif2go can really duplicate the look of a frame doc, but I am missing some details.

I am told that in the mif2go setup there is somewhere where one can pick a frame file that acts as a template for the frame to word conversion. I cannot find where this option is.

Also, he said that somewhere in the mif2rtf.ini I should put gif=bmp and jpg=bmp because I have some GIFs and JPGs referenced in my frame doc, because BMPs turn out better in the conversion.

Can anyone comment on these questions?

Thanks.

best,
Paul
Art Campbell
2006-04-25 18:19:14 UTC
Well,
Jeremy may respond too because he's on the list, but here's my take:
* When you set up your project, you can enter the name of a FM
template file to apply to the source files before conversion if you
want to change the appearance of the end document. This path and file
name can also be entered or changed in the .ini file.
* I'm not a great fan of .bmps myself, but if you're going to rtf, it
may be worth trying.
If it doesn't look right in Word, just import the originals.

Art
--
Art Campbell ***@gmail.com
No disclaimers apply.
DoD 358
Jeremy H. Griffith
2006-04-25 18:24:14 UTC
Post by o***@comcast.net
I am told that mif2go can really duplicate the look of
a frame doc,
Yes, it can.
Post by o***@comcast.net
but I am missing some details.
I am told that in the mif2go setup there is somewhere
where one can pick a frame file that acts as a template
for the frame to word conversion. I cannot find where
this option is.
It's the entire right-hand half of the Set up dialog...
you select the file at the top, and check boxes for the
properties you want to import from it. The import is
done in a way that does *not* affect the original .fm
file; only the .mif used for conversion is modified.
For Word output, you mostly need to adjust master pages,
as detailed in the User's Guide, par. 2.3, "Importing
formats from a conversion template".
Post by o***@comcast.net
Also, he said that somewhere in the mif2rtf.ini I should
put gif=bmp and jpg=bmp because I have some GIFs and JPGs
referenced in my frame doc, because BMPs turn out better
in the conversion.
If you are going to Word, which we presume is the case
here, Mif2Go can embed .bmps into .wmfs and put them
in Word scaled exactly as in FrameMaker. But for other
formats, we have to let Word embed them itself, in which
case we cannot specify scaling. That's what "better"
means here, as explained in par. 5.16.1, "Understanding
graphics requirements for Word". The setting you mention
is described in par. 5.16.2.1, "Converting referenced
graphics before Mif2Go (best quality)", and other places.
Post by o***@comcast.net
Can anyone comment on these questions?
The 800+-page User's Guide is your friend... If you
don't care for the WinHelp version that ships with the
distribution, take your choice of others from:
http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm
All are made with Mif2Go; pick from: HTML Help, HTML,
XHTML, JavaHelp, Oracle Help for Java, PDF, our own
cross-platform OmniHelp (my personal favorite), Word
RTF, and Frame 7.0 itself (with all .ini files, to
use as examples).

HTH!

<***@omsys.com> http://www.omsys.com/
o***@comcast.net
2006-04-25 19:13:15 UTC
Thanks.

How do you see the "Set up print rtf project" dialog after the first setup?

It seems to show once, and then disappear.

I have looked through the manual enough to get my frame to go to word, but the word version is still 30 percent bigger than the frame, so it does not look like the original.

Maybe one problem is a View in Frame (my custom draft mark) that, even when hidden in Frame, shows in Word. That puts itself in the middle of each page. Maybe that is what is throwing off the page size. I cannot see why this View, hidden in Frame, shows in Word.

Paul

Jeremy H. Griffith
2006-04-25 19:56:24 UTC
Post by o***@comcast.net
Thanks.
Quite welcome!
Post by o***@comcast.net
How do you see the "Set up print rtf project"
dialog after the first setup?
It seems to show once, and then disappear.
Right, if there is already a mif2rtf.ini, it doesn't
overwrite it, as that could zap settings you already
made. However, for RTF, if you do Set up again, you
get the "Conversion Designer", a multipanel GUI for
changing many settings. Personally, I prefer to edit
the mif2rtf.ini myself, in a text editor like Wordpad.
This is all covered in par. 3.3, "Setting up a Mif2Go
project".
Post by o***@comcast.net
I have looked through the manual enough to get my
frame to go to word, but the word version is still
30 percent bigger than the frame, so it does not
look like the original.
If the page size is different, that means there's
something unusual about your Master Pages in Frame.
We obtain the page size and margins from those.
For Word, it's often necessary to use simpler master
pages imported from a conversion template, because
some common Frame usages (like a graphic line in a
side margin) cause problems for Word, as described
in par. 5.6.7.2, "Adjusting headers and footers for
conversion".
Post by o***@comcast.net
Maybe one problem is a View in Frame (my custom draft
mark) that, even when hidden in Frame, shows in Word.
That puts itself in the middle of each page. Maybe that
is what is throwing off the page size. I cannot see
why this View, hidden in Frame, shows in Word.
Nor can I. We respect all of Frames conditional text
settings. If you cannot determine what the problem
is after actually reading the User's Guide <g>, you
can send us a one-page test case as described in
Appendix D, with all the files specified there, and
we'll look into it.

<***@omsys.com> http://www.omsys.com/