FrameMaker 2017 and Visio Graphics
J***@airbornemx.com
2018-09-19 15:41:57 UTC
Is it possible to import by reference Visio graphics into a FrameMaker
2017 file?

Julie A. Sigrist
Quality Assurance
Airborne Maintenance and Engineering Services, Inc.
145 Hunter Drive, Bldg. 1005-B
Wilmington, OH 45177
(800) 736-3973 x62482
(937) 366-2482 (Direct)

Lin Sims
2018-09-19 16:27:29 UTC
Yes.

1. File > Import > Object, select Microsoft Visio Drawing from the list
2. Select Create from File
3. Select Link
4. Click OK.

Step 3 is important if you want changes to the Visio diagram to be updated
to the FrameMaker file.
Robert Lauriston
Lin Sims
2018-09-19 18:18:56 UTC
I thought embedding was importing by copy, not reference? Although I grant
you, I assumed this was a Windows platform given she is talking about Visio.

BTW, Julie, if this IS Windows and Visio, remember to shrink the Visio
canvas down around the drawing, or, depending on the size of the drawing,
you could be looking at a lot of empty space.
Post by Lin Sims
2. Select Create from File
3. Select Link
4. Click OK.
Step 3 is important if you want changes to the Visio diagram to be
updated
Post by Lin Sims
to the FrameMaker file.
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-19 18:24:52 UTC
I believe "Object" = OLE.

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2017/using/using-framemaker-2017/frm_text_tx/Import_and_link_methods-.htm
Post by Lin Sims
2. Select Create from File
3. Select Link
4. Click OK.
Step 3 is important if you want changes to the Visio diagram to be
updated
Post by Lin Sims
to the FrameMaker file.
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-19 17:59:02 UTC
I tried various approaches a few years ago and ended up exporting the
Visio drawings to EMF and placing those by reference in FrameMaker.
2018-09-20 13:35:34 UTC
Thank you for your replies.

This is my first time having to work with a graphic format I couldn't
reference or not having any control over the format. The book is over 3000
pages and at least 2000 of those pages are full page graphic images (all
Visio and I do not have the Visio software). If I try and embed by OLE
this many graphics, is my book going to be an unmanageable size?

Thinking I need to request the company provide me with graphics in a
FrameMaker friendly format.

Fred Ridder
2018-09-20 15:55:55 UTC
Or provide you with a license for Visio. For your purposes, you'd only need Visio Standard (rather than Visio Professional, which adds data linking capabilities and collaborative features that you don't need), which has a list price of $250 for a perpetual license. I've seen Visio offered by third parties for less than $100.

I believe that unless you have Visio installed on your computer, you cannot insert Visio graphics as embedded (OLE) objects because the link inherent in OLE is between two applications -- the original app [Visio in this case] and the one that is reusing it [Frame in this case]. The OLE embedding allows you to edit the original graphic from within the FrameMaker UI by double-clicking on it.

Note that embedding is *not* the same thing as pasting a graphic into Frame. Nor is it the same as inserting a graphic by reference. They are three separate methods, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages.

But if you wish to pursue your idea of having "the company" (presumably meaning your colleagues...) provide graphics in a FrameMaker-friendly format, my personal suggestion would be PDF, particularly if the graphics originated in a vector drawing application rather than being raster images (e.g., screen shots or photographic images)

-FR

________________________________

Send messages to ***@lists.frameusers.com
Visit the list's homepage at https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frameusers.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C6ab21062bddc45d617cf08d61efdf439%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636730473411640440&amp;sdata=ce3ytzRQXRElTvm33Ey5HCEnHPwlMHB7T4OECFDFCbM%3D&amp;reserved=0
Archives located at https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mail-archive.com%2Fframers%2540lists.frameusers.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C6ab21062bddc45d617cf08d61efdf439%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636730473411640440&amp;sdata=O0GQBL4ZEAPZDfhFu7vZEUEk3%2FpfnO48zczdkmzKEuc%3D&amp;reserved=0
Subscribe and unsubscribe at https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Flists.frameusers.com%2Flistinfo.cgi%2Fframers-frameusers.com&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C6ab21062bddc45d617cf08d61efdf439%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636730473411640440&amp;sdata=vGHeQvQssYRBPgkHlbjRDJdqMaHErE%2FT9dVoqRSwk%2Fs%3D&amp;reserved=0
Send administrative questions to ***@frameusers.com
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-20 17:58:53 UTC
2000 OLE objects would certainly be asking for trouble.

It's probably possible to write a VBScript that would go through all
the Visio files in a directory, resize them to fit the drawing, and
export to SVG or some other format FrameMaker can handle.
Steve Rickaby
2018-09-20 18:49:59 UTC
I've watched this thread with interest. My experience is old, so Visio may have improved, but back in the day we used to have no end of problems with non-Visio-native exports from Visio for use in FrameMaker. I vividly remember 'connected' objects that weren't, and 'arcs' and 'circles' that were visibly composed of straight-line segments.

I hope things are better now.
--
Steve
Lin Sims
2018-09-21 12:37:10 UTC
It got better. Sometime around Visio 2013, I think, they fixed most of the
export issues from Visio to SVG, at least.

Now, if you're pasting SVGs created by Visio that have images manipulated
in Photoshop to have a white background, you're going to run into problems.
;-)

But regular Visio graphics exported to SVG, at least, looks pretty good
these days.

Art Campbell
2018-09-21 14:37:59 UTC
Rather than use OLE, I SaveAs PDF from Viso and import that.

Art Campbell
***@gmail.com
"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
No disclaimers apply.
DoD 358
Carrie Baker

Send administrative quest
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-21 18:36:05 UTC
The last time I had to place Visio drawings in FrameMaker I had some
problem with PDF (which worked fine with Excel) so I used EMF, but
today I'd use SVG.