Graphics quality
Doug
2018-09-27 18:26:44 UTC
Line drawings in Frame look much worse than they do when I save them to
PDF. Is this an issue with my graphics card driver, or does Frame just
have a reputation for poor graphic quality? lol

Doug
Jeff Coatsworth
2018-09-27 18:34:33 UTC
Depending on the image format, FM often sacrifices quality on the screen for better performance. Sometimes you just get placeholders or times, low-res thumbnails.

________________________________

quills
2018-09-28 04:09:59 UTC
We always use PDF or PNG. If your line drawings are in JPG then expect a loss of resolution, JPG is a lossy format that exchanges resolution for size. Taster graphics will always have poorer resolution when they are displayed at a screen size that isn’t exactly the created resolution or isn’t in a divisible pixel ration to the screen resolution.

Vector graphics nearly always have a better resolution because they are drawn from a mathematical representation and not based upon captured pixel count. Use PNG or GIF format. If you must use raster graphics then TIFF is the best.
res
Send administrative questions t
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-28 17:29:26 UTC
Not always for better performance, sometimes just because FrameMaker
can't render the format on screen.

E.g. for EPS vector graphics FrameMaker uses the embedded preview bitmap.

Sent: September 27, 2018 2:26 PM
To: An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software.
David Artman
2018-09-28 18:11:40 UTC
All the recent image-related posts lead me to write up this:

[1]http://davidartman.com/design/best-practices-for-graphics-in-modern-
publishing-pipelines

HTH;

David

References

1. http://davidartman.com/design/best-practices-for-graphics-in-modern-publishing-pipelines
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-28 23:03:02 UTC
Rather than "set your desktop resolution to the highest it can
support" I'd say set your display to its native resolution.

I don't believe LCD ClearType / font-smoothing settings have any
effect on what's captured.

To me, the most important tips are (1) selecting or cropping to show
only pertinent screen elements and (2) resampling only when it's
absolutely unavoidable.
... http://davidartman.com/design/best-practices-for-graphics-in-modern-publishing-pipelines
Doug
2018-09-29 00:20:25 UTC
I'm comparing how an image looks on the same monitor when displayed by
Frame and in PDF produced from Frame. In all cases the image looks better
when displayed in PDF. It doesn't matter what quality the image is; Frame
just seems to display images poorly in comparison.
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-29 01:33:21 UTC
What format image and which version of FrameMaker?

If you're displaying EPS, you're not looking at the same image.
FrameMaker's showing a preview bitmap stored in the EPS file and PDF
is rendering the actual vectors.
Doug
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-29 15:31:59 UTC
FrameMaker can't render AI grphics, it uses the low-resolution preview
bitmap embedded in the file.

If PNG images in FrameMaker look worse than they do in the exported
PDF in Acrobat or Adobe Reader, Acrobat probably does a better job of
rendering bitmaps at some zoom levels.
2018-09-29 15:52:56 UTC
The on-screen preview will always look "bad" since you are only seeing a
preview. Photos will look OK, but not in the details. Luckily however, that
is only the on-screen preview--for print/PDF output, the actual graphic file
is used.

Depending on the source of the artwork, here are the _typically_ settings I
use...

Vector Art
PDF or native AI. I use EPS if I have to or art was supplied in that mode.

Photos (color and grayscale raster images)
225 ppi
RGB output: PNG, TIFF, JPEG @ high quality
CMYK output (for printing): TIFF with LZW compression

Scanned Line Art (black-only raster art)
1200 ppi / 1800 ppi for print
TIFF w/ LZW
Make sure it is scanned as "line art" or "black & white" mode--in Photoshop,
it would be in Bitmap mode.
These settings have to be used during scanning and generally, they cannot be
"retro-fitted". If scanned correctly, this will look as good as vector art.

Sometimes, I will downsample the resolution in my PDF export mode, but I
find that Frame is usually more responsive is you size the dimensions and
resolution before import.

If creating a PDF for commercial printing (offset), I usually make an RGB
PDF and convert in Acrobat Pro. I can make sure any RGB blacks convert to
100% K.

David Creamer
IDEAS Training

Peter Gold
2018-09-29 21:16:42 UTC
In the olden days, IIRC, Dov Isaacs of Adobe, or Shlomo Perets of
microtype.com, periodically posted a detailed set of steps for use with
Photoshop, to optimize images for use in FrameMaker. Odds are good an
archive search will be successful. HTH.
Post by i***@ideastraining.com
[...]
stinfo.cgi/framers-frameusers.com
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-29 22:36:35 UTC
That's true only for vector graphics. If you zoom in far enough on a
bitmap you can see the individual pixels, just as in Acrobat or Adobe
Reader.