Save As PDF doesn't work first time
Tom Beiswenger
2018-08-23 12:54:45 UTC
This is an odd one, but might be related to running FM 12 in a Windows 10 environment.

When I open an FM book for the first time and then try to save it as PDF, FM goes non-responsive (normal) and the little rotating Adobe icon appears at the lower right hand toolbar (not normal). A "phantom" pdf document eventually appears, but so does a message, "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found."

Distiller also appears in my quick start toolbar, but when I open Distiller, the file shown is empty.

I then close the phantom pdf document, go back to the FM book and run Save as PDF again. This time it works as expected: FM goes non-responsive, Distiller opens (eventually) and a progress bar appears with Distiller until the document is fully generated. The document -- real one this time -- appears and all is good.

I'm starting to get used to this new behavior, but sure would like to know if there is a fix for this annoyance.
Art Campbell
2018-08-23 13:43:24 UTC
Historically, SaveAs PDF has been problematic.
Printing to the Acrobat logical printer has been more stable and
predictable.

Art Campbell
***@gmail.com
"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
No disclaimers apply.
DoD 358

Syed Zaeem Hosain
2018-08-23 14:32:07 UTC
Hi, Art, et. al.

I am not on the latest version of FrameMaker anymore (stopped upgrading at FM 12), but this historical experience, as has been mentioned here before, has been different for me each time a new version of FrameMaker was released.

I had to go try _both_ Save as PDF and printing to the Adobe PDF printer to see which would work better for me. _Usually_ (and this is not definitive since I forget what worked well in each version now), "Save as PDF" worked better for me.

YMMV, of course!

Tom Beiswenger
2018-08-23 13:47:42 UTC
What is the Acrobat logical printer? Our documents often have video tutorials in them. The only way that I've been able to make them work is to us the Save as PDF command.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 9:34 AM Tom Beiswenger <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tom.beiswenger-40emhartglass.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=pgSIbZ4Mi95KHxAMq6g0jFLPpOaHCs-19-hia8aESC8&s=svxjjCUG-fywW54lNCj659CFhIrwp_wdlmd36gt7bE4&e=> wrote:

Lin Sims
2018-08-23 13:53:47 UTC
On the Frame menu, click File > Print Setup and choose Adobe PDF from the
list of installed printers, or you can select it as the printer when using
File > Print.

Save as PDF has been pretty much fixed in the last couple of Frame
versions, but IIRC (memory fuzzy), 12 was the last version where it still
had some issues.

Tom Beiswenger
2018-08-23 14:24:38 UTC
That, unfortunately, does not work. Although all of the hyperlinks work using that method, the videos embedded in the PDF (which are inserted by reference in the original FM 12 doc) will not play. Save as PDF is the only method that I've found that gives the PDF all of the functionality that I've built into the book. The behavior I referenced originally just started when our IT grout upgraded me to a new Dell notebook running Win 10.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM Tom Beiswenger <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tom.beiswenger-40emhartglass.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=nQZme4IXtgDCEclA786gmFoWxw_MtCHYfSMOo674Sp0&s=_3-WmvhxmmYIPY9_Ku0rY80RX7wlhreXvxWpkaHM9XY&e=> wrote:

--
Lin Sims

Subscribe and unsubscribe at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.frameusers.com_listinfo.cgi_framers-2Dframeusers.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=nQZme4IXtgDCEclA786gmFoWxw_MtCHYfSMOo674Sp0&s=KEPO7QQcawtvO8tHtSqhsgBS8ZqlPMl0vXpe5PLzEds&e=
Send administrative questions to ***@frameusers.com

Art Campbell
2018-08-23 14:45:43 UTC
You're checking the Generate PDF Data checkbox when you Print to the
Acrobat printer?

And you may want to point out to the IT staff that FM12 wasn't designed for
W10. Definitely consider an upgrade -- you're going to be three revs behind
the curve shortly. Antique software...

Art Campbell
***@gmail.com
"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
No disclaimers apply.
DoD 358

Art Campbell
2018-08-23 14:46:31 UTC
You could also try downloading the free eval of FM17 and see if that works
better, in either or both PDF generation modes.

Doug
2018-08-23 16:20:51 UTC
We bought FM 2017 in May 2017, so I'm sure we'll have to pay to
upgrade. But is it worth it? If I knew doing so would resolve the
annoying quirks I've had to deal with, it might be. But I'd hate to
upgrade just to find out the quirks still exist.

Have they released a list of specific changes yet?

Doug
Robert Lauriston
2018-08-23 16:34:41 UTC
Why not get the 30-day free trial and see for yourself?

Art Campbell
2018-08-23 17:02:17 UTC
What Robert says. One of the features of '19 is a new PDF engine, which may
make a difference for your problem.

Rick Quatro
2018-08-23 17:05:29 UTC
Posted this yesterday. There is a list of new features here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker.html

Or, list the quirks you are having with FM 2017.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
***@frameexpert.com
585-729-6746 NEW!

Tom Beiswenger
2018-08-23 16:15:59 UTC
Art,

I am checking the Generate PDF Data checkbox. As for FM17, there have been
lots of complaints about it on this forum about that version. Rick Quatro
suggested that I wait for FM19, which is supposed to resolve the problems
of previous versions and be a fully 64-bit app. Now that FM19 is out, I
may wait a little before upgrading to give Adobe time to work out initial
issues that always seem to occur with the birth of a new edition. That,
and I will need to convince our IT staff that spending a grand on a new
revision is worth it. My colleague in another division moved from
FrameMaker to AuthorIT a few years ago. He loves it, because he has lots
of reusable chunks of text, which I don't have. And I have many more
manuals for which I am responsible than he does.

And, even more important to me, at least, is that FM is pretty universal
and this forum is an incredibly good place to get help from real experts.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get forced to move from FM to AIT.

Tom Beiswenger
Project Manager, Manager IB Technical Documentation

Emhart Glass Inc.
74 Kahler Road North ? Horseheads NY 14845 ? USA
Telephone 1 607 735 2551 ? Mobile +1 607 769 4779
Fax +1 607 735 2601
***@emhartglass.com
www.bucheremhartglass.com
www.bucherindustries.com
Privacy Policy: www.bucheremhartglass.com/privacy

From: Art Campbell <***@gmail.com>
To: Framers List <***@lists.frameusers.com>
Date: 08/23/2018 10:46 AM
Sent by: "Framers"

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tom.beiswenger-40emhartglass.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=BjCbjV_tCZF6jbE-oll0zV1yOmujRkf5HXZtN2ZShTQ&s=xlEOsxqqnyPVH9Wt-bDpSRQHU1a-KVbgL555GicCknM&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.frameusers.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=BjCbjV_tCZF6jbE-oll0zV1yOmujRkf5HXZtN2ZShTQ&s=AyBdoZo8p2ySlYWXQLl6_TNgveNTxNW0os_8_xJURJ4&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mail-2Darchive.com_framers-2540lists.frameusers.com_&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=BjCbjV_tCZF6jbE-oll0zV1yOmujRkf5HXZtN2ZShTQ&s=0y4FAGG3rpWWGXfQK69l4loj1VSWvCswLiTtf49waDw&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.frameusers.com_listinfo.cgi_framers-2Dframeusers.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=BjCbjV_tCZF6jbE-oll0zV1yOmujRkf5HXZtN2ZShTQ&s=utFZJIwPuS4keJZ3dR30A2dBE-ioyfdBJkBnDqIjTdA&e=

2018-08-23 16:28:30 UTC
Don't entirely agree or disagree.

I was a beta '17 user, so I've been using it for several years on Win10
without any serious issues. Always thinking that whatever the current
version is, that's what many people are using so you see a high number of
questions and complaints about that.

Can't talk about '19.

Art Campbell
***@gmail.com
"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
No disclaimers apply.
DoD 358

Jeff Coatsworth
2018-08-27 12:50:56 UTC
Tom, make sure that your Win10 version is fully patched up - you may be suffering from the build 1803 issue that messed up PDF creation. The patch released July 24 seems to have fixed it.

From: Art Campbell <***@gmail.com>
To: Framers List <***@lists.frameusers.com>
Date: 08/23/2018 10:46 AM
Sent by: "Framers"

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:34 AM Tom Beiswenger < https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tom.beiswenger-40emhartglass.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=BjCbjV_tCZF6jbE-oll0zV1yOmujRkf5HXZtN2ZShTQ&s=xlEOsxqqnyPVH9Wt-bDpSRQHU1a-KVbgL555GicCknM&e=
> wrote:

> That, unfortunately, does not work. Although all of the hyperlinks
> work using that method, the videos embedded in the PDF (which are
> inserted by reference in the original FM 12 doc) will not play. Save
> as PDF is the
only
> method that I've found that gives the PDF all of the functionality
> that I've built into the book. The behavior I referenced originally
> just
started
> when our IT grout upgraded me to a new Dell notebook running Win 10.
>

> -----"Framers" <framers-bounces+tom.beiswenger=
> ***@lists.frameusers.com> wrote: -----
> To: Frame Users <***@lists.frameusers.com>
> From: Lin Sims
> Sent by: "Framers"
> Date: 08/23/2018 09:54AM
> Subject: Re: [Framers] Save As PDF doesn't work first time
>
> On the Frame menu, click File > Print Setup and choose Adobe PDF from
the
> list of installed printers, or you can select it as the printer when
using
> File > Print.
>
> Save as PDF has been pretty much fixed in the last couple of Frame
> versions, but IIRC (memory fuzzy), 12 was the last version where it
still
> had some issues.
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM Tom Beiswenger <

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tom.beiswenger-40emhartglass.com&d=DwICAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=zzmJd9V-AOY-pLCA-v8cPy_mRSvZCZwNZBdUabWmOfQ&m=nQZme4IXtgDCEclA786gmFoWxw_MtCHYfSMOo674Sp0&s=_3-WmvhxmmYIPY9_Ku0rY80RX7wlhreXvxWpkaHM9XY&e=

> wrote:
>
> > What is the Acrobat logical printer? Our documents often have video
> > tutorials in them. The only way that I've been able to make them
> > work
is