Switching from InDesign to FM 11
Rosemarie Miller
2018-10-26 13:36:39 UTC
I have a new tech writer coming in who has a lot of InDesign experience, and I need to get him up to speed in FM 11 (unstructured) ASAP. I know the concepts are similar, so where do I start training so that I don't bore him with concepts he already understands?

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
Send administrative que
j***@us.hsbc.com
2018-10-26 14:06:09 UTC
Give him a small document/project, ask him to produce a deliverable, and what he needs help with tells you what you need to know.

2018-10-26 16:07:06 UTC
I'd tend to agree with John's suggestion, but would do a copy edit to
replace "him" with "him or her."

Long ago, I planned to write a course on moving from FM to ID, but, plans
change. However, I wrote an article comparing these tools:

https://indesignsecrets.com/better-framemaker-indesign.php

Search the web for "framemaker vs indesign" for other relevant
articles. IIRC, David Creamer of ideastraining.com posted an even-more
thorough comparison than mine.

From a trainer's viewpoint, I'd want to know the kind of documents the
person had created in InDesign, and how they were created. If the writer
created the bulk of the authoring with something like Word, then imported,
placed, or pasted the content into ID, for layout and design, then it would
be helpful to know the writer's approach in Word. From a writer's
viewpoint, IMO, FM works more like Word than ID, so many Word work habits -
good ones, and bad ones - are transferable.
Was the original authoring done with or without attention to systematic use
of named styles or formats? Did they use named styles in ID, or ad-hoc?

HTH
Send administrative que
Monique Semp
2018-10-26 16:34:00 UTC
Post by Peter Gold
I'd tend to agree with John's suggestion, but would do a copy edit to
replace "him" with "him or her."
I'd replace "him" with "them". It's now {acceptable or encouraged,
depending on the situation} to use "them" in the singular form. As it
was a long time ago.
See:
* [1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
* [2]https://www.grammarly.com/blog/use-the-singular-they/
*
[3]https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/08/donald-trump-
may-win-this-years-word-of-the-year/?utm_term=.da14e9abf975
-Monique

References

Monique Semp
2018-10-26 16:38:35 UTC
Oh, an even better link: the AP now has the singular _they_ in their
style book:
[1]https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/03/28/the-si
ngular-gender-neutral-they-added-to-the-associated-press-stylebook/?utm
_term=.a1385c09522b

References

Rick Quatro
2018-10-26 15:14:01 UTC
Lynda.com has a FrameMaker course. It is a subscription site but for the cost of a month, he can probably get up to speed quickly.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
***@frameexpert.com
585-729-6746 NEW!

2018-10-26 20:13:58 UTC
Your new person may be a sophisticated ID user, but in my experience graphic designers (as opposed to tech comm people) are unfamiliar with the concept of a single text frame/flow throughout a document. Creatives love to make lots of freestanding text and image frames and play around with assembling them in a pleasing layout. You might start there.

Best wishes,

-dr

Donna Reynolds
Rosemarie Miller
2018-10-28 03:21:38 UTC
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll need to see what he can do when he
gets here, and go from there. I didn't get a chance to test him -- his
previous work looked good, and that was enough for my boss. <sigh> I do
think he'll be a quick and eager learner. I just didn't want to bore him or
slow down the learning curve.

Rosemarie Miller
Indianapolis, IN

2018-10-28 13:15:24 UTC
If the person is a self-learner, then Lynda.com would be fine. You usually
can get a free week.

Another, more focused option would be a day of focused instruction by
someone that is an expert in both programs. (I say a day, but it really
depends on the knowledge level of the person.) You can search for certified
instructors at:
https://training.adobe.com/training/partner-finder.html#p=1&product=adobe-fr
ame-maker&type=aci
Look for those that are certified on both programs; most instructors do
online training.

I can email you my comparison chart (thank you, Peter), but I have not kept
it up to date (although the basics are still there).
"A lot of InDesign experience" can go many ways...

The InDesign user should not have a problem, IF the InDesign user is
familiar with:
--Primary Text Frames
--Master Pages
--Smart Text Reflow/Delete Empty Pages preferences
--Paragraph and Character Styles*
--Table and Cell Styles*
--Variables**
--Conditional Text (if used)**
--Inline and Anchored Graphics
--Numbered Lists
--Books**
--TOC and other lists
--Indexing (if used)**

*These features are more powerful in InDesign
**These features are more powerful in FrameMaker
(Other features are similar in function but the creation and interface is
different.)

David Creamer
IDEAS Training
ADOBE Authorized Instructor & Certified Expert since 1994
Training on the Creative Suite, the Technical Communication Suite,
and LiveCycle Designer
FrameMaker Certified since 1991, including structured/XML
Authorized QuarkXPress Instructor and Certified Expert since 1988
Microsoft Office training, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access,
Publisher, Project, and more
FileMaker Business Alliance member: Trainer
Authorized FlightCheck Prepress Instructor