Now it's a buggy SVG IMPORT into Frame 2019 files
Lin Sims
2018-10-19 20:01:19 UTC
If it's not one thing, it's another.

I'm still on Windows 7, so I've continued importing my images into Frame
2017 as SVG files since I have no issues creating PDFs from them.

But we've JUST upgraded to Frame 2019, and now the IMPORT of SVG images
into Frame has gone screwy. In this case, the images are screenshots taken
with SnagIt, pasted into Visio where graphic callouts and a text box
containing the graphic's number is added, and exported to SVG.

When the resulting SVG is imported into FrameMaker, all the callouts and
the graphic's number MOVE, either to the right (in the case of the
callouts) or to the left (in the case of the text box containing the
graphic's number).

For now, I'm giving up on SVGs and we're just going to import Visio files,
since that doesn't appear to have any problems. I have non-proprietary
examples of the issue (as JPG images) for those interested in a look. I'm
not attaching them because I can't remember if the list software scrapes
attachments off or not. I've also posted a query in the Adobe FrameMaker
forum. I'm still debating whether to file a bug report. <sigh>.

Weekend, here I come.
--
Lin Sims
Lin Sims
2018-10-19 20:37:25 UTC
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Importing the Visio files using File > Import > File gets the image in
without the weirdnesses happening with the lines.

But importing the file, even if specified as import by reference, is
importing by copy with a link to the Visio file, so yes, it updates if the
Visio source is changed, but the FrameMaker file size is increased
DRASTICALLY.

I am so FRUSTRATED, I'm about to go back to the FrameMaker 2017
installation and tell my co-worker we'll just wait for the next 6 months or
so and see if SVG issues (2 now!) get fixed.
Doug
Lin Sims
2018-10-21 01:52:00 UTC
We do them this way so they're easy to reuse in multiple documents.

At any rate, Adobe developers are working with some sample files I sent
them to see if they can find the issue. Here's hoping for a fix RSN.
Doug
2018-10-22 14:23:49 UTC
When I use the shrinkwrap shortcut, my anchored frames change to At
Insertion Point, which hoses their position on the page. I seem to recall
that there was a way to customize the shortcut so it would leave the
Anchoring Position value unchanged.

If I'm not mis-remembering, what is the method?

Thanks!
Lin Sims
2018-10-22 14:34:11 UTC
You're maybe thinking of a very old utility called ShrinkWrapAsIs. I'm not
sure if it's findable anymore, though.

You can also, since FM11, use Object Styles, which work the same as
Paragraph or Character Styles. Set up one graphic/anchored frame the way
you want it, define it as an object style, and then apply it every time you
create a graphic. Not as automatic as ShrinkWrapAsIs, but it'll work with
both 32- and 64-bit FM, which ShrinkWrapAsIs (if you can find it!) is
unlikely to do. I think it was created back in FM 5.5.x ...
Doug
Lin Sims
2018-10-23 12:58:21 UTC
Here's an update for those who might still be curious about this.

I've been in fairly extensive contact with Adobe regarding this issue.
Yesterday I was told that the problem lies with a bug in their SVG
libraries and affects other Adobe programs, such as Illustrator. The
FrameMaker development team is working with the SVG imaging team on the
problem.

No word on when a fix might be available, but this is apparently a big
enough issue that they've got a few people working to resolve it.

Meantime, my coworker and I are saving the Visio files out to PDF, which
works.
Yves Barbion
2018-10-23 13:16:40 UTC
Hi Lin

Looks like a problem with font embedding in the SVG files. I don't know
about Visio, but in Adobe Illustrator, you can select font embedding
settings when you save your graphic as SVG: subset only glyphs used, all
glyphs, no glyphs (and use system fonts) etc.

Maybe you could do some tests with those settings? There may be one which
works with Fm 2019.

Cheers

Yves
Lin Sims
2018-10-23 13:28:28 UTC
Hi Yves,

Did they loop you in on this? :-)

As far as I can tell, there are no options in Visio to change how
fonts/glyphs are embedded, but I'm not a Visio power user. All I know is
that graphic when saved from Visio as an SVG looks fine in a browser, but
if you try to import the SVG into FrameMaker or Illustrator, the graphic
callouts and any text get shifted. The same graphic exported from Visio to
PDF, however, looks fine when it is imported into FrameMaker, and that's my
current focus. Since that works, that's what we're going with until Adobe
has a fix.

Adobe had suggested editing positioning information in the SVG as a
potential workaround, but that gets fiddly and time intensive and really
wasn't viable, especially since Adobe is working to correct the issue. We'd
just have to redo the images again once the fix is available.