[Framers] HTML
Doug
2018-09-28 15:25:09 UTC
I've been making PDFs using Frame unstructured, but now I'm facing the
challenge of adding HTML output to my list of tasks. I'm familiar with
HTML, but making it from Frame is something I've not done before.

Can someone point me to online examples of user guides that have been
converted to HTML? I'd like to get an idea of what's possible making HTML
from Frame.

Thanks,

Doug
Yves Barbion
2018-09-28 15:33:21 UTC
Hi Doug

I've generated this webhelp from unstructured FrameMaker:

www.flowtime.be/samples/enfocus_pitstop_webhelp/Multivolume/Output/wwhelp.htm

Generated with WebWorks ePublisher.

I don't know which version of FrameMaker you're using, but the latest
versions have their own built-in (RoboHelp-based) publishing feature. Just
choose File > Publish and select your preferred format, for example
responsive HTML5.

Kind regards

Yves
Doug
2018-09-28 15:37:14 UTC
Frame 2017. I had been trying Save As > HTML, I'll try File > Publish
now. Thanks!
Hi Doug
Post by Doug
I've been making PDFs using Frame unstructured, but now I'm facing the
challenge of adding HTML output to my list of tasks. I'm familiar with
HTML, but making it from Frame is something I've not done before.
Can someone point me to online examples of user guides that have been
converted to HTML? I'd like to get an idea of what's possible making
HTML
Post by Doug
from Frame.
Thanks,
Doug
H Santoro
2018-09-28 15:55:29 UTC
Let me see if I'm doing this right!

The 'Save As HTML' is somewhat deprecated and clunky. It has some uses,
but it is not able to produce a slick output. Trying the options in the
Publish pod is a better bet.
Post by Doug
Frame 2017. I had been trying Save As > HTML, I'll try File > Publish
now. Thanks!
Hi Doug
Post by Doug
I've been making PDFs using Frame unstructured, but now I'm facing the
challenge of adding HTML output to my list of tasks. I'm familiar with
HTML, but making it from Frame is something I've not done before.
Can someone point me to online examples of user guides that have been
converted to HTML? I'd like to get an idea of what's possible making
HTML
Post by Doug
from Frame.
Thanks,
Doug
Robert Lauriston
2018-09-28 17:34:45 UTC
Save as HTML was never good for much. With FrameMaker 6 through 11, if
you wanted professional-looking HTML output, you used WebWorks,
RoboHelp, or MIF2Go.

From FrameMaker 12 on, you can use the built-in subset of RoboHelp
features ("multichannel publishing"), though WebWorks ePublisher has
some advantages.
Doug
2018-10-01 14:41:22 UTC
Thanks for the advice on using File > Publish, the Responsive HTML5 results
are much better than the alternative I was using. However, I noticed that
some fonts we use end up getting substituted, so the web version looks
visibly different from the PDF. I've been making changes on the Style
Mapping tab, but there's no way to add new fonts. We use the family of
Univers Next Pro.

Ideas?
Post by Robert Lauriston
Save as HTML was never good for much. With FrameMaker 6 through 11, if
you wanted professional-looking HTML output, you used WebWorks,
RoboHelp, or MIF2Go.
From FrameMaker 12 on, you can use the built-in subset of RoboHelp
Robert Lauriston
2018-10-01 16:51:18 UTC
That's a general issue with HTML. You don't know what fonts readers
will have installed on their computers.

Read up on web-safe fonts and the CSS font-family property.
Böðvar Björgvinsson
2018-10-01 21:44:49 UTC
You will never have the same fonts in HTML in every browser, even if you
stick to Arial. The thing in HTML is to set up alternatives in font use. I
don't know if it is possible in any automation in FM, but generally it is
set in the CSS.
Cheers,
Bodvar
Caroline Tabach
2018-10-02 10:10:36 UTC
You can change the fonts in the publish configuration.

As mentioned, you must choose fonts that are generally available on
browsers, otherwise the results will look bad.

You often need a machine that does not have your default fonts on it to
test this.

Play with all the possible settings, you can get very good results

Caroline Tabach

בתאריך יום ג׳, 2 באוק׳ 2018, 0:45, מאת Böðvar Björgvinsson ‏<
Post by Böðvar Björgvinsson
You will never have the same fonts in HTML in every browser, even if you
stick to Arial. The thing in HTML is to set up alternatives in font use. I
don't know if it is possible in any automation in FM, but generally it is
set in the CSS.
Cheers,
Bodvar
mán., 1. okt. 2018 kl. 16:51 skrifaði Robert Lauriston <
Robert Lauriston
2018-10-02 16:22:24 UTC
It can be good to have virtual machines with plain-vanilla
installations of whatever operating systems and browsers you support
to check appearance.

Though if RoboHelp's default font-family substitutions are good, you
might not have to worry about it. In the past I've just used the
automap feature and the output looked fine.