[Framers] Formatting tables
Doug
2018-09-17 15:54:44 UTC
Will Frame let me format a table so it has solid column lines but
dashed row lines? I'm not seeing anything that would let me make
this, like how it can be done in Word.

Doug
Rick Quatro
2018-09-17 16:17:25 UTC
Table ruling are based on Ruling Styles. To create new Ruling Styles, choose
Table > Format > Custom Ruling & Shading. Click the Edit Ruling Style button
and you will be able to edit and create Ruling Styles.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
***@frameexpert.com
585-729-6746 NEW!

Doug
Doug
2018-09-25 14:20:47 UTC
Err, that appeared to do it on-screen, but when I print, the lines are solid.

The only configurable settings for Ruling Styles are color, width, and
pen pattern, which is merely a percentage. That just fades the
intensity of the color. That's not a "pattern", I don't think.

None of the pre-designed formats use dashed lines either.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Post by Doug
That did it. Thanks!
Lin Sims
2018-09-25 15:05:22 UTC
You know, I don't think I've ever noticed before that you can't use dotted
or dashed lines for column or row borders. I guess because I never had a
need to. Interesting.
Post by Doug
Err, that appeared to do it on-screen, but when I print, the lines are solid.
The only configurable settings for Ruling Styles are color, width, and
pen pattern, which is merely a percentage. That just fades the
intensity of the color. That's not a "pattern", I don't think.
None of the pre-designed formats use dashed lines either.
Ideas?
Thanks.
Post by Doug
That did it. Thanks!
Post by Doug
Post by Rick Quatro
lines? I'm not seeing anything that would let me make this, like how
it can
Post by Doug
Post by Rick Quatro
be done in Word.
Doug
Lin Sims
Pat Christenson
2018-09-25 17:58:24 UTC
There is a double "dotted" line used in tables in a template that I inherited.

If you open Custom Ruling & Shading and click Edit Ruling Style, you can create a new or edit an existing style. In this template, the Color is Black, the Pen Pattern is 30%, the Width is 0.5 pt and Double-Gap is 2.0. I think the Pen Pattern is what does the trick

Pat Christenson

Post by Doug
Err, that appeared to do it on-screen, but when I print, the lines are solid.
The only configurable settings for Ruling Styles are color, width, and
pen pattern, which is merely a percentage. That just fades the
intensity of the color. That's not a "pattern", I don't think.
None of the pre-designed formats use dashed lines either.
Ideas?
Thanks.
Post by Doug
That did it. Thanks!

Lin Sims
2018-10-24 13:02:23 UTC
This has been bugging me.

So I added it as a feature request for FrameMaker 2019. It's just weird
that the premiere DTP doesn't have this as a feature already.

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/FRMAKER-5521
Doug
2018-10-15 15:22:26 UTC
I've been experimenting with publishing to the ePub format. it looks nice,
but the images in my document lose their borders during the process. I've
managed to make a single image retain its border, but none of the others.
Even if I set up another image the same way, the border vanishes when I
publish to ePub.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Doug
Rick Quatro
2018-10-15 15:40:28 UTC
Hi Doug,

You may not be able to get the conversion to recognize the borders on your
images, but keep in mind that the formatting is driven by a css (cascading
stylesheet) file in the epub output. You could modify the css to give you
borders on your images.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
***@frameexpert.com
585-729-6746 NEW!

Scott Prentice
2018-10-15 18:37:56 UTC
Hi Doug...

I assume you're using the EPUB export in FM? The FM version will affect
the output significantly, newer versions much better than older. As Rick
points out, the formatting is controlled by CSS. There are many reasons
that formatting in your source may now end up as expected in the EPUB. I
haven't looked at the EPUB output from FM 2019 yet, but I think it's the
same as it was in FM 2017 (I hear that RH 2019 has a new engine though
.. need to test that).

One of the big problems with EPUB output from FM (and most tools), is
that the underlying HTML/CSS is not terribly clean. There's likely a lot
of hard-coded styling (@style attributes on HTML elements) .. when it
should be purely @class attribute driven so it's easier to control.
You'll also see differences in the rendering of pages depending on the
EPUB reader you're using.

You can look at the HTML/CSS markup by extracting the files from within
the EPUB. Just change the file extension to ".zip" and use your favorite
archive tool. In theory you can make edits and zip it back up, but this
may create an invalid EPUB (the order of files in the archive is
important, and most archive tools don't let you define that order). If
you're serious about EPUB, you should get a copy of Oxygen XML Editor.
It lets you open EPUBs, make edits and save back to the EPUB (properly).
And since it's an XML editor (and EPUBs are mostly XML), it's a really
nice tool for making global edits to the files.

EPUB can be really cool .. but the tools and readers are lacking in
proper support. Keep it simple and you'll have better results. Also tell
your end users which readers you "support" so they don't try using some
reader that will make the EPUB looks really bad.

Cheers,
...scott
Doug
2018-10-15 22:15:59 UTC
Thanks everyone. I clicked the Edit option on the Publish window and
figured out how to add borders to my images...it works perfectly in ePub
mode. I'll have to remove the borders from my FM documents and just use
those instead. Probably will end up using conditional text to use my
original image borders to show up in our PDFs.

Can anyone suggest how to change the color of hotlinks? My cross-refs
display in the normal blue when they're published, but I'm told to make
them a different shade.

Thanks,
Doug
2018-10-16 11:51:54 UTC
When I use the Insert > Equations functionality, the result is great for
PDFs and print. But when I File > Publish > HTML5, the equations are
treated as images. This is bad because the Publishing process puts borders
around them like it does around all of the images.

The only way I can think of to fix this is to not set the Publish process
to not automatically add borders to any images. This means I will have to
manually edit the CSS to add the 4 border statements for each of the
images. But at least this way the equations won't have borders, even
though they'll still be treated as images.

Am I missing a better solution?

Thanks!
Rick Quatro
2018-09-25 15:34:35 UTC
I am sorry Doug, that's my fault. I thought you could do dashed lines, but
apparently you can't.

Err, that appeared to do it on-screen, but when I print, the lines are
solid.

The only configurable settings for Ruling Styles are color, width, and pen
pattern, which is merely a percentage. That just fades the intensity of the
color. That's not a "pattern", I don't think.

None of the pre-designed formats use dashed lines either.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Post by Doug
That did it. Thanks!
Post by Rick Quatro
Table ruling are based on Ruling Styles. To create new Ruling Styles,
choose Table > Format > Custom Ruling & Shading. Click the Edit
Ruling Style button and you will be able to edit and create Ruling
Styles.
Post by Doug
Post by Rick Quatro
Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-729-6746 NEW!

Doug
2018-09-25 16:59:04 UTC
NP. Even with its quirks, Frame is still preferable to Word. :D
Post by Rick Quatro
I am sorry Doug, that's my fault. I thought you could do dashed lines, but
apparently you can't.
Err, that appeared to do it on-screen, but when I print, the lines are solid.
The only configurable settings for Ruling Styles are color, width, and pen
pattern, which is merely a percentage. That just fades the intensity of the
color. That's not a "pattern", I don't think.
None of the pre-designed formats use dashed lines either.
Ideas?
Thanks.
Post by Doug
That did it. Thanks!
Post by Rick Quatro
Table ruling are based on Ruling Styles. To create new Ruling Styles,
choose Table > Format > Custom Ruling & Shading. Click the Edit
Ruling Style button and you will be able to edit and create Ruling
Styles.
Post by Doug
Post by Rick Quatro
Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-729-6746 NEW!
Lin Sims
2018-09-25 17:14:46 UTC
Has anyone ever added that as a feature request?
Post by Rick Quatro
I am sorry Doug, that's my fault. I thought you could do dashed lines,
but
apparently you can't.
Post by Rick Quatro
color. That's not a "pattern", I don't think.
None of the pre-designed formats use dashed lines either.
Ideas?
Thanks.
Post by Doug
That did it. Thanks!
Post by Rick Quatro
Table ruling are based on Ruling Styles. To create new Ruling Styles,
choose Table > Format > Custom Ruling & Shading. Click the Edit
Ruling Style button and you will be able to edit and create Ruling
Styles.
Post by Doug
Post by Rick Quatro
Rick Quatro