[Framers] Table footnotes
Bragg, Judy - Xylem
2018-11-28 21:46:36 UTC
I'm working in unstructured Tech. Comm. Suite 2015, and I have come across a couple of problems with table footnotes. I hope someone out there has a way around them.

In FM, Table Footnote rolls to the next page:
I have one instance where "the stars have aligned" and the table happens to end right at the bottom of the page, then the table footnotes appear at the top of the next. I'd really prefer that at least 1 row of the table roll to the next page so the footnotes aren't orphaned.

I thought it might have to do with the fact that this table is in a text inset, but if I go to the source document where the inset is and shorten the text flow to beneath the table, the footnotes roll as orphans there too.

The Table Footnote paragraph style is set to Keep With Previous.
Changing table body styles to Keep With the Next would cause other, more frequent problems.
Other ideas?

Links to Table Footnotes:
In FM, I have a table where 3 cells should reference the same footnote. I inserted a footnote in the table at the first instance, then manually made a superscript letter coinciding to that footnote in the other 2 cells and hyperlinked them to the table footnote.

It works in FM, but when I port over to RoboHelp for the CHM files, instead of the manual hyperlinks in those 2 cells, the whole content of the footnote appears after the cell body text! For the moment, I've just removed the hyperlinks, but I'm curious why my method isn't working and if there's another way.

Judy Bragg
Technical Writer/QC
HYPACK - A Xylem Brand
56 Bradley St.
Middletown, CT 06457
O: +1.860.635.1500
***@xyleminc.com<mailto:***@xyleminc.com>
www.hypack.com<http://www.hypack.com/>
[Email Logo]
[HYPACK 2019 Email Banner]<http://www.hypack2019.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments and/or linked documents, is intended for the sole use of the intended addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law. Any unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the original sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Xylem Inc.
2018-11-29 13:13:49 UTC
You could try increasing the row height slightly for that table so that a
row or two rolls to the next page. I don't think using the Keep with Next
will do what you're looking for, anyway, since it affects the table rows,
not the footnotes.

Truthfully, I've never been entirely happy with how Frame handles
footnotes, particularly ones for tables. It's one of the few times where I
think Word handles it better, which means it's one of the few things Word
does that I agree with. ;-)

I don't port to any Help formats, so I've no idea why it's pulling the text
of the footnote. Generally speaking, though, if you want to have multiple
references to the same footnote, best practise is to use the
cross-reference function, not manually typing and adding a hyperlink. This
has the added benefit that if your footnote numbering changes, the xref
automatically updates on your next regen of the book file.
2018-11-29 18:25:51 UTC
I'm facing the challenge of organizing the file structure of dozens of
documents and their respective imported graphics. What's are the best
practices in this regard? I'm inclined to maintain an Images folder with
separate sub-folders for each document's graphics, and another sub-folder
for graphics that are common to multiple documents.

Where I worked before we stored images in a sub-folder below the document's
FM folder, but I'm leaning away from that approach since it complicates
things when you are scanning images outside of Frame. And other reasons,
of course.

Thanks,

Doug
Mike Wickham
2018-11-30 00:20:25 UTC
I prefer to keep graphics in a subfolder of the book folder. I create
them in appropriate size, in original RGB profile, and at 300 dpi, as
EPS. Keeping RGB is smaller than CMYK, with broader color gamut, and 300
dpi is high resolution, suitable for print. But, before creating final
output, I duplicate that original subfolder as backup, then run a script
in Bridge or Photoshop on the original to either convert to CMYK for
printing press (keeping 300 dpi), or run a script to resize to 96 dpi
for online.

I feel that keeping the graphics in their own subfolder makes it easy to
keep multiple versions, to swap in and out, depending on output
destination. I would note that the various archiving scripts that are
available all seem to want to automatically pull graphics from anywhere
on the computer and place them in an images subfolder, anyway.

Mike Wickham

David Artman
2018-11-29 19:57:42 UTC
All in one folder, period. Modern OSs have great search, sort, and
filter controls in their file managers; and it makes packaging for
version archiving simple.
My 2¢
David
[DCA:d.a.d.]
Lin Sims
2018-11-29 20:18:26 UTC
At my former job, we assigned all graphics a number and everything got
dumped in a single folder. A spreadsheet kept track of the name of the
graphic, which was usually just the caption. Finding a graphic was very
easy if we had the number, and only a little less easy if we had a keyword
or two we could home in on.
Send administrative questions to li
William Saylor
2018-11-29 20:38:29 UTC
I have to concur with the suggestions to keep everything associated with a project / book in one folder - even though it seemed counterintuitive to organizing by subfolder. I have a 12 chapter textbook with 150 figures and tried segregating the graphics into a separate subfolder and ensuring the linking path was correct. But, having to move across systems - and generating FM pdf book output as well as WebWorks for epub and HTML5 book output - convinced me that one folder works best. But, without an SVN type repository I did have to move older chapters to a separate folder (if I needed to save versions) and could keep the master folder with everything being used in the project.
Bill