[Framers] File Info > Title information problem
Lin Sims
2018-10-16 19:44:35 UTC
Currently: Windows 7, FrameMaker 2017

Why can't I delete the information in the Title field for the File Info? I
have templates I created and I can't get rid of an old document title from
this field in the template files. Yes, I update this field when I create a
new document, but it's a bloody nuisance that it has bad information in it
and I can't get rid of it.

I even exported everything to MIF, but I can't find that information in the
MIF files.
--
Lin Sims
Jeff Coatsworth
2018-10-16 19:49:39 UTC
IIRC once you stick something in that File Info screen, you're stuck with it forever.

John Sgammato
2018-10-16 19:52:58 UTC
We update that information all the time. It gets consumed by an
auto-publication script and used to publish the final PDF to the right
location.
We're using FM 2015, unstructured.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 3:49 PM Jeff Coatsworth <
IIRC once you stick something in that File Info screen, you're stuck with it forever.
Why can't I delete the information in the Title field for the File Info? I
have templates I created and I can't get rid of an old document title from
this field in the template files. Yes, I update this field when I create a
new document, but it's a bloody nuisance that it has bad information in it
and I can't get rid of it.
I even exported everything to MIF, but I can't find that information in the MIF files.
--
Lin Sims
[image: logo]
*John Sgammato* *Documentation Architect*
m 508.927.2083 | ***@actifio.com | actifio.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/company-beta/399246/> <http://twitter.com/actifio>
<http://www.youtube.com/c/Actifio_Official>
<http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-Actifio-EI_IE625803.11,18.htm>
*Access your enterprise data as a service, instantly anywhere.*
Lin Sims
2018-10-16 19:57:24 UTC
That'd be nice. But we do it all manually: choose the file name, choose the
location, all the rest. I just don't understand why someone thought
carrying an old title over to everything ever created once you used that
field for the first time was a good idea.

It's been a bit of a week. Already. Oy.

Thanks for the information, all, even if it's not what I hoped for.
Art Campbell
2018-10-16 21:09:36 UTC
And it's editable in 2017 as well, and was in the 2019 beta.

If you need to juggle this info frequently, I and John both use a nifty
script of Rick's that propagates all File Info fields ina book and in all
the book's component chapter files based on a static config file and/or the
contents of FM variables such as Book Title.

Art Campbell
***@gmail.com
"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and
a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson
No disclaimers apply.
DoD 358
Lin Sims
2018-10-16 19:55:27 UTC
Well. That's STUPID.

Also frustrating. Whose bright idea was that?

Rick Quatro
2018-10-16 20:05:13 UTC
Hi Lin,

Can you send me the template off list so I can take a look at it? Thanks.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
***@frameexpert.com
585-729-6746 NEW!

Klaus Daube
2018-10-17 10:26:09 UTC
Post by Lin Sims
Why can't I delete the information in the Title field for the File Info? I
have templates I created and I can't get rid of an old document title from
this field in the template files. Yes, I update this field when I create a
new document, but it's a bloody nuisance that it has bad information in it
and I can't get rid of it.
Lin, I have stuff in the template also.
But when generating a pdf from a book I get the info from the book file:
In the book file I select the book and set the values in File > File Info
Then only this informatin goes into the PDF although the individual chapters have the
'standard stuff' in the file information.

HTH Klaus